We celebrated Father's Day yesterday with my dad and family in the small town where they live. The town was devastated last week by a tornado, so we almost weren't able to make the trip. Thankfully my family is fine, their house is fine, and the Na.tional Gu.ard moved the borders of the disaster area just enough to allow us to reach their house.
J and I had our own little celebration yesterday morning with a card from me, and a Li.sa Leo.nard bracelet (do they call leather armbands for guys "bracelets?" I don't know.) personalized with Asher & Evan's names. I also picked out some cologne for him. I hope he felt recognized and appreciated as a father. I've always known he would be a great dad, and he's shown that to be true. He was fiercely protective of me and the boys while I was pregnant, and has shown such amazing devotion to his family. Our road to parenthood has been incredibly difficult, but he is walking it with strength and courage.
It broke my heart yesterday, though, that no one else acknowledged his fatherhood. I hadn't expected much, since only my mom and a couple close girlfriends said anything to me on Mother's Day. But I'd hoped for something. My own father was saying "Happy Father's Day!" to strangers, but didn't say anything to J.
I know that people just don't know what to say, and that everyone was thinking about it. But sometimes I get angry, and sick of giving others the benefit of the doubt. I guess I feel selfish, like other people should suck it up and do the uncomfortable thing for our sakes. I feel so defensive and protective of our status as parents, and I shouldn't have to feel that way.
As time goes on I'm sure I will feel more comfortable with our unconventional role as parents, and how to acknowledge it with others. We know we are parents, and our babies certainly know that, so that's all that matters. I am proud and thankful to be their mom, as I know J is proud to be their dad, and we'll celebrate that fact even if no one else does!
No comments:
Post a Comment