Friday, September 3, 2010

I think I need some new clothes

The weather turned suddenly to fall this morning, with a strong wind and crisp air. Minnesota doesn’t mess around with changing seasons! Time for fall clothes, even. I don’t have a very large wardrobe so am thankful for the opportunity to wear more long sleeves.

I stare into my closet, mentally sorting through my options. I select a brown shirt that I bought last fall from Old Navy. Kind of a loose, blousy style. Haven't worn this in a while. As I pad around the bedroom in my slippers and robe (put on at the first sign of a chill) assembling the rest of my outfit, I start to feel very disoriented. Fall always makes me nostalgic, but now I am thinking to this time last year. This time last year I was almost 8 weeks pregnant. This time last year we were about to visit J’s family and share our news.

This time last year I went shopping at Old Navy to find some clothes to ease me into pregnancy. Not maternity clothes, but styles loose enough to hide my stomach until I was ready to spill the beans at work.

This time last year I was padding around the bedroom in my robe, thinking of the new life inside of me. Feeling so hopeful and overjoyed. We didn’t even know it was twins yet. This time last year I bought this brown shirt.

I put the shirt back in the closet.

Instead, I am wearing a shirt I bought after my pregnancy. Also purchased to hide my stomach. I am somewhat cheered to see how much better I look in the shirt than I did in February, but I can tell fall is going to be rough. So many memories of last year. Every memory of pregnancy is the absolute definition of bittersweet. We were so, so happy. We had no idea what was to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment