Wednesday, July 28, 2010

In Other News/Upcoming MFM Appointment

We have an appointment with our high-risk docs next week for "pre-pregnancy counseling."

I don't know if we're ready yet, or will be any time soon, BUT we are at least feeling ready to talk about what it even means to be ready, and what "getting ready" entails.... Sometimes I feel fine when I think of TTC again, and sometimes I want to throw up at the very idea. So.... we'll see.

In the meantime, I have a gigantic list of questions for the doctor. I'm sure he will address much of this list without my asking, but it never hurts to be prepared! Many of these are specific to pre-e/HELLP, but I'd appreciate any input about things I should add! I want to be as informed as possible, and I don't care if the docs get sick of me and think I'm neurotic. :-)

  • What's the overall "plan?"
  • Will I be provided with a blood pressure cuff to check my BP at home? Should I check it regularly? How often?
  • Will I be provided with strips to monitor proteinurea? How often? Starting when?
  • Will I do a 24-hour urine collection to get a baseline protein count?
  • How often will my labs be taken to check platelets, etc (HELLP)?
  • How often will I have checkups?
  • How often will I have ultrasounds?
  • Blood work: have I been tested for all possible underlying things? Can I be tested for anything else (see list)?
  • Bed rest? Reduced work hours?
  • Vitamins: Calcium, Folic acid, Vitamin D, fish oil, CoQ10... what and how much?
  • Baby aspirin? How much, and when to start/stop it?
  • Will I be given steroids to help baby's lung development? At what point?
  • What blood pressure would mean I should go to ER/labor and delivery? What protein?
  • What kind of management will I have if I develop pre-e?
  • exercise recommendations?
  • diet recommendations (protein, dairy, etc.)
  • any other treatments/recs: alternative therapies, etc?
  • Can I see fewer doctors in the practice, request certain doctors, etc?
  • Is there/can there be a note in my file to indicate our previous experience, alert nurses/docs to our situation (worried about insensitive comments, unnecessary worries, etc.)

2 comments:

  1. Exciting :)

    Honestly, I can't think of anything you've left out. Your list reminds me a lot like mine - so I just have to warn you that, if your dr. is anything like mine!, you might come away a little unsatisfied :) He wouldn't answer most of these questions (i.e. bedrest, reduced work), instead taking a "we'll take it as it comes" point of view.

    He also didn't want me to take my bp or protein dips at home - said the monitoring at his office was sufficient (and, honestly, it really was).

    Oh, one other - best case scenario and I stay healthy, how long will you let the pregnancy go?

    GL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Bluebird! I'll add that last question to my list, it's a good one.

    Yes, I have a feeling they will want to wait on some of my future questions. But that won't keep me from trying. :-)

    ReplyDelete